Saturday, July 7, 2012

Too Young to Be Old or Too Old to Be Young? Oh yay...another wrinkle! I'm a big girl now!

"The only way you'll ever learn a thing
Is to admit that you know absolutely nothing
Oh nothing
Think about this carefully
You might not get another chance to speak freely
Oh freely
Old Enough - The Raconteurs

“We do not know what things look like.
We know what things are like. It must be a very limiting thing, this seeing. - Aunt Beast”
I have often made the statement that I don't see people so much as I feel them.  I will say it again, because it's true.  However, maybe I need to have my eyes examined and start looking.  After all, I am living in a country that places more value on appearances than actual substance.  Or maybe we just draw a line between the two.

We're also more inclined to judge a book by its cover.  It's easier that way.  We label and categorize and live by the calendar.  Fuck Einstein!  Time IS linear!  Why?  Because the illusion makes life less scary.  Linear time allows us to believe that we have control.  It's all about the future right? 

Speaking of time, I've never really thought much about my age until recently. Most of my friends are older, chronologically speaking.  I guess I get along better with older people.  Not sure why.  Maybe I'm the token kid in the group? 




Or maybe I'm just an idiot.  How many wrinkles and hot flashes do I need to have in order to be taken seriously?


As a woman in this life, this is where I have to admit that I'm confused.  If you are a man in this life, do you want this?


Or do you want this?

 
This post is a short one and you can thank my post-menopausal friend "Sweet Pea" for summing it all up.  She's in her 50's, so surely she knows what she's talking about.  According to her, the moral of the story is this:  Men want women to be 60, but they prefer that we look 40.  Yeah, here's what that looks like:



Ewwww.  Just ewwww.  Without a doubt, the plastic surgeon's bank account is more attractive.

Sigh.  I guess it's a numbers game after all. 








1 comment:

  1. I think everyone should get whatever sugery they want. However, when are they going to start holding surgeons accountable for accepting money and doing surgery on people who have obviously mental and/or addiction problems? That stuff is absurd to me.

    ReplyDelete